Jan. 5, 2008
From top to bottom the Baylor women's tennis team was firing on all cylinders Saturday as the Bears opened their 2008 campaign on the road with a 7-0 victory over BYU at the University of Hawaii Tennis Complex in Honolulu, Hawai'i.
Lone senior Zuzana Zemenova battled Anastasia Surkova in the matches only three-set contest. After falling in the opening frame, 4-6, Zemenova stepped it up a notch winning the final two sets, 6-4 and 10-2, respectively.
"The ladies played well today," said head coach Joey Scrivano. "I love the intensity from start to finish. It is a great feeling to get the season underway and even better that we were able to do it with a win."
Freshman Taylor Ormond started at the No. 2 spot and picked up the first dual victory of her career against Kristina Doerr, 6-4, 6-3.
Fellow freshmen Jelena Stanivuk and Karolina Filipiak also earned victories over BYU, defeating Chie Hayasaka (6-2, 6-4) at the No. 4 spot and Dolly Chang at the No. 6 spot, respectively.
Sophomores Lenka Broosova and Jana Bielikova filled out the rest of the singles line up and picked up set victories. Broosova defeated Elizaveta Ezhova 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 3 spot while Bielikova earned her win against Elle Carney at the No. 5 positition (6-1, 6-2).
The Bears (1-0) will return to the Hawaii courts on Sunday as they wrap up a two-match road trip against the University of Hawaii.
1) Zuzana Zemenova (BU) def. Anastasia Surkova (4-6, 6-4, 10-2)
2) Taylor Ormond (BU) def. Kristina Doerr (6-4, 6-3)
3) Lenka Broosova (BU) def. Elizaveta Ezhova (6-1, 6-2)
4) Jelena Stanivuk (BU) def. Chie Hayasaka (6-2, 6-4)
5) Jana Bielikova (BU) def. Elle Carney (6-1, 6-2)
6) Karolina Filipiak (BU) def. Dolly Chang (6-4, 6-2)
1) Zemenova/Broosova (BU) def. Surkova/Doerr (8-4)
2) Ormond/Stanivuk (BU) def. Ezhova/Chang (8-5)
3) Bielikova/Filipiak (BU) def. Carney/Hayasaka (8-5)