Jan. 6, 2008
All eight members of the Baylor women's tennis team were in action Sunday as the Bears improved to 2-0 on the season with a 7-1 victory over Hawaii at the UH Tennis Complex in Honolulu.
Baylor (2-0) swept through the doubles portion of the match and earned straight-set victories in all but one singles contests.
"We took care of business today, although we still need to improve in certain areas," said head coach Joey Scrivano. "Our ladies are looking forward to getting back on the practice court and making some corrections, but overall this was a great experience for our team."
Fifty-fourth-ranked Lenka Broosova earned her second victory in as many days, defeating Hawaii's Chloe Bihag 6-0, 6-0. Freshman Karolina Filipiak also garnered a 6-0, 6-0 victory, defeating Jennifer Goldman in the No. 5 spot.
Freshmen Zuzana Chmelarova and Natalie Holmes made their dual debuts for the Bears earning wins at the No. 6 and No. 7 singles spots, respectively. Both won by final scores of 6-0, 6-1.
Sophomore Jana Bielikova and newcomer Jelena Stanivuk also earned wins in the match, improving to 2-0 in dual competition. Bielikova defeated Natasha Zorec 6-4, 6-3, while Stanivuk earned a 6-2, 6-1, win over Julia Sandborn.
Hawaii's lone point of the match came at No. 1 singles as Baylor's Taylor Ormond was forced to withdraw from competition due to a minor ankle injury; Ormond won the first set 6-2 and withdrew from the match with a 5-5 score in the second set.
The Bears return to action later this month, traveling to California for a two-match road trip against UCLA (Jan. 25) and Pepperdine (Jan. 26).
1. Sophie Kobuch (UH) def. Taylor Ormond (BU); wd inj
2. #54 Lenka Broosova (BU) def. Chloe Bihag (UH); 6-0, 6-0
3. Jelena Stanivuk (BU) def. Julia Sandborn (UH); 6-2, 6-1
4. Jana Bielikova (BU) def. Natasha Zorec (UH); 6-4, 6-3
5. Karolina Filipiak (BU) def. Jennifer Goldman (UH); 6-0, 6-0
6. Zuzana Chmelarova (BU) def. Marie Tanaka (UH); 6-0, 6-1
7. Natalie Holmes (BU) def. Brittany Beswick (UH); 6-0, 6-1
1. #51 Zuzana Zemenova/Broosova (BU) def. Kobuch/Bihag (UH); 8-2
2. Ormond/Stanivuk (BU) def. Sandborn/Tanaka (UH); 8-0
3. Bielikova/Filipiak (BU) def. Zorec/Goldman (UH); 8-5