Jan. 28, 2007
ATHENS, Ga. -
Georgia's No. 24 women's tennis team hosted and hounded Baylor's No. 6 team in the Sunday, Jan. 28 dual match at the Bulldogs' Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Courts. Georgia picked up the doubles point and all six singles points on its way to a 7-0 upset. Baylor is now 1-1 on the season while Georgia improved to 2-0.
The Bears played without two of their top three netters, No. 38 Jessica Zok and No. 91 Zuzana Cerna. Cerna had an appendectomy last week while Zok suffered an injury in practice requiring stitches.
"There is no excuse. The score tells you everything you need to know right now," says a head coach Joey Scrivano.
Though Klara Zrustova and Lenka Broosova won their doubles match, the effort was lost. The other two doubles matches on courts two and three already gave Georgia a point advantage heading into singles. Court two finished first as No. 42 duo Monika Dancevic and Kelley Hyndman defeated Zuzana Chmelarova and Zuzana Zemenova 8-1. On court three Natalie Frazier and Naoko Ueshima bested Jana Bielikova and Iva Mihaylova 8-3. Finishing up doubles, Zrustova and Broosova defeated Yvette Hyndman and Darya Ivanov 8-6.
In singles action Georgia picked up the first three wins but not before battling the Bears through long sets. Zrustova took No. 88 Dancevic to three sets before the Bulldog put the match away 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 on court two. Baylor's No. 21 Zemenova fought through two close sets but No. 44 Frazier was able to pull out an upset on court one, 7-6, 6-4. Georgia picked up the decisive point on court four when Mihaylova fell to Hyndman 6-1, 7-5.
Baylor returns to action Feb. 2-4 at the National Team Indoor Championships hosted by the University of Wisconsin at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison, Wis. Baylor tournament results will be posted at www.baylorbears.com while full tournament information can be found at www.itatennis.com.
#24 Georgia, 7 def. #6 Baylor, 0
Sunday, Jan. 28, 2007 - 1 p.m.
Athens, Ga. - Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Courts
Singles - 2, 1, 4*, 3, 5, 6
1. #44 Natalie Frazier (UGA) def. #21 Zuzana Zemenova (BU) 7-6, 6-4
2. #88 Monika Dancevic (UGA) def. Klara Zrustova (BU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
3. Yvette Hyndman (UGA) def. #37 Lenka Broosova (BU) 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
4. Kelley Hyndman (UGA) def. Iva Mihaylova (BU) 6-1, 7-5
5. Lara Fakhoury (UGA) def. Zuzana Chmelarova (BU) 4-6, 6-1, 1-0
6. Naoko Ueshima (UGA) def. Jana Bielikova (BU) 7-6 (10), 6-4
Doubles - 2, 3, 1
1. Lenka Broosova / Klara Zrustova (BU) def. Yvette Hyndman / Darya Ivanov (UGA) 8-6
2. #42 Monika Dancevic / Kelley Hyndman (UGA) def. Zuzana Chmelarova / Zuzana Zemenova (BU) 8-1
3. Natalie Frazier / Naoko Ueshima (UGA) def. Jana Bielikova / Iva Mihaylova (BU) 8-3