Feb. 2, 2007
MADISON, Wis. - Baylor's seventh-seeded women's tennis team dropped its quarterfinal match 5-2 to second-seeded Notre Dame Friday, Feb. 2 at the ITA Indoor Team Championships hosted by the University of Wisconsin.
The match started with Notre Dame picking up the singles point early with wins on all three courts. The Bears fell 8-2 on courts two and three and 8-6 on court one.
In singles Baylor battled back to tie the match at ones when Zuzana Zemenova defeated Catrina Thompson 6-4, 6-4. Soon the Fighting Irish reclaimed the lead with a win on court five; Iva Mihaylova fell to Cosmina Ciobanu 6-2, 6-4. Notre Dame inched closer to sealing the match when Christian Thompson bested Lenka Broosova 6-7, 6-4, 6-0.
Notre Dame clinched the match with its win on court two. Jessica Zok fought to keep the Bears alive but surrendered the match 6-4, 6-4 to Colleen Rielley. Zuzana Chmelarova rounded finished out the match on court six with a win over Katie Pitts 6-4, 6-2.
Through the tournament Baylor moved to 2-2 on the season. The Bears next match is against Miami in a quarterfinal play-off.
Notre Dame 5, Baylor 2
ITA Team Indoor Championships
Feb. 1-4, 2007
1. Thompson/Thompson (ND) def. Broosova/Zrustova (BU) 8-6
2. Buck/Tefft (ND) def. Zok/Chmelarova (BU) 8-2
3. Ciobanu/Irisik (ND) def. Bielikova/Zemenova (BU) 8-2
Singles - Order of Finish: 1, 5, 3, 2, 4, 6
1. Zuzana Zemenova (BU) def. Catrina Thompson (ND) 6-4, 6-4
2. Colleen Rielley (ND) def. Jessica Zok (BU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Christian Thompson (ND) def. Lenka Broosova (BU) 6-7 (3), 6-4, 6-0
4. Kelcy Tefft (ND) def. Klara Zrustova (BU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Cosmina Ciobanu (ND) def. Iva Mihaylova (BU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Zuzana Chmelarova (BU) def. Katie Potts (ND) 6-4, 6-2