Feb. 16, 2003
FT. WORTH, Texas -
After losing the doubles point for the first time in three matches the Bear's started off strong in singles but could not come away with a win. After the loss the Bear's now fall to 2-4, 1-0 on the season while TCU moves to 4-0, 2-0.
In doubles play the team of Stephanie Balzert and Daria Potapova earned Baylor's first win of the day over TCU's Gloriann Lopez/Iris Jenkins 8-1 but the frogs came back to seal the doubles point with stellar play in their No.1 spot where #30 Paty Aburto/Rosa Perez defeated the duo of Vida Mulec and Anna Moncolova 8-6. In the No. 2 spot Karla Mancinas/Saber Price defeated Alison Bradley and Barbora Blahutiakova 8-1.
In singles action, #45 Mulec was upset for the second week in a row losing to #125 Aburto in straight sets 6-3, 6-2. Izabela Mijic added on to her four game winning streak by defeating Lopez 6-3, 6-3 in the No. 6 spot, and Potapova continued her dominant play as she sweeped Jaklin 6-0, 6-1 in the No. 4 spot. In other matches, Price beat Balzert in the No. 2 spot 6-1, 6-4, Rosa Perez knocked off Moncolova 6-4, 7-6, and Mancinas defeated Blahutiakova 7-6, 7-6.
The Bear's next match is against Iowa State on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. at the Baylor Tennis Center in Waco. For live stat updates of the match got to www.baylorbears.com.
#26 TCU 5, #45 Baylor 2
Records: TCU (4-0, 2-0 C-USA); Baylor (2-4, 1-0 Big 12)
** Match played indoors **
1. #T125 Paty Aburto (TCU) def. #45 Vida Mulec (BU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Saber Pierce (TCU) def. Stephanie Balzert
(BU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Rosa Perez (TCU) def. Anna Moncolova (BU) 6-4, 7-6(5)
4. Daria Potapova (BU) def. Iris Jaklin (TCU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Karla Mancinas (TCU) def. Barbora Blahutiakova (BU) 7-6, 7-6
6. Izabela Mijic (BU) def. Gloriann Lopez (TCU) 6-3, 6-3
1. #30 Paty Aburto/Rosa Perez (TCU) def. Vida Mulec/Anna Moncolova (BU) 8-6
2. Karla Mancinas/Saber Pierce (TCU) def. Alison Bradley/Barbora Blahutiakova (BU) 8-1
3. Stephanie Balzert/Daria Potapova (BU) def. Gloriann Lopez/Iris Jaklin (TCU) 8-1