Freshman Klara Zrustova won in both singles and doubles against TCU.
Feb. 17, 2004
WACO, Texas - The Baylor women's tennis team fell to the visiting Texas Christian University on Tuesday night at the Baylor Tennis Center. The Horned Frogs, currently ranked No. 59, defeated the 35th-ranked Bears 5-2.
The Bears lost the doubles point as 45th-ranked Daria Potapova and Stephanie Balzert were defeated by Karla Mancinas and Paty Aburto, 8-2 playing at No.2. In the No. 1 spot, BU's Carolin Walter and Daniela Covello fell to Ana Cetnik and Saber Pierce, 8-2. The Bears' only doubles win came at the No. 3 position with Izabela Mijic and Klara Zrustova defeating TCU's Jenn Chay and Paige Brown, 8-6.
At No. 3 singles, TCU's Cetnik defeated Covello in a quick 6-3, 6-0 to claim the Frogs' first point. Baylor's Zrustova followed by beating Gloriann Lopez, 6-1, 6-4, to put the Bears on the scoreboard board. TCU's Aburto and Chay followed with wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 spots, respectively, to close out the match and clinch the win for the Horned Frogs. Baylor's only other victory came from the No. 6 spot when Iva Mihaylova, who split the first and second sets with TCU's Paige Brown, won in the super tie-breaker 1-0 after being down 3-1 and coming back with nine straight points to close out the match.
With the loss, the Bears fall to 1-5 on the season while TCU is now 2-4.
The Bears will be idle until Wednesday, Feb. 25 when they host UT-Arlington at the Baylor Tennis Center. The contest between Baylor and UTA will begin at 5 p.m.
#59 TCU 5, #35 Baylor 2
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. Ana Cetnik/Saber Pierce (TCU) def. Carolin Walter/Daniela Covello (BU) vs. 8-2
2. Karla Mancinas/Paty Aburto (TCU) def. #45 Daria Potapova/Stephanie Balzert (BU) 8-2
3. Izabela Mijic/Klara Zrustova (BU) def. Jenn Chay/Paige Brown (TCU) 8-6
Order of finish: 3,5,1,2,6,4
1. Paty Aburto (TCU) def. Carolin Walter (BU) 7-6(2), 6-3
2. Jenn Chay (TCU) def. Stephanie Balzert (BU) 3-6, 6-1, 7-5
3. Ana Cetnik (TCU) def. Daniela Covello (BU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Saber Pierce (TCU) def. Daria Potapova (BU) 6-7(6), 6-2, 6-2
5. Klara Zrustova (BU) def. Gloriann Lopez (TCU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Iva Mihaylova (BU) def. Paige Brown (TCU) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-3)