Feb. 25, 2008
MALIBU, Calif. - After dropping the doubles point for just the second time this season, Baylor's 8th-ranked women's tennis team rebounded Monday to earn a 4-3 victory over No. 17 Pepperdine on the road. The win was Baylor's sixth straight over a nationally ranked opponent.
Freshmen Taylor Ormond and Jelena Stanivuk were the first to finish in doubles, defeating Jill Braverman and Mnamika Bhargava (8-4) at the No. 2 position, but could only watch as the Bears dropped the No. 1 and No 3 doubles matches.
No. 24 Zuzana Zemenova (12-3) quickly evened the score by besting No. 72 Sylvia Kosakowski, 6-2, 6-2, and Baylor's Jana Bielikova (No. 37) put the Bears up with her 6-1, 7-5 victory over Anete Bandere.
Baylor (8-1) clinched the match with wins at No. 2 and No. 5 singles.
No. 18 Lenka Broosova defeated No. 81 Bianca Dulgheru and Stanivuk sealed victory with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Braverman.
With a 4-1 lead, the Bears dropped their No. 6 and No. 3 singles matches to capture a 4-3 victory.
Karolina Filipiak's loss at No. 6 singles was her first of the spring season and ended a seven-match win streak. With Broosova's victory, the sophomore matched a season high nine-match win streak, the longest streak for any member of the 2007-08 squad.
The Bears return to action Tuesday as they face No. 7 UCLA. The match is set to begin at 3:30 p.m. CST.
1. Sylvia Kosakowski/Bianca Dulgheru (PEP, #8) def. Zuzana Zemenova/Lenka Broosova (BAY, #4), 8-5
2. Taylor Ormond/Jelena Stanivuk (BAY) def. Jill Braverman/Anamika Bhargava (PEP), 8-4
3. Tania Rice/Anete Bandere (PEP) def. Jana Bielikova/Karolina Filipiak (BAY), 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Zuzana Zemenova (BAY, #24) def. Sylvia Kosakowski (PEP, #72), 6-2, 6-2
2. Lenka Broosova (BAY, #18) def. Bianca Dulgheru (PEP, #81), 6-4, 6-1
3. Anamika Bharagava (PEP, #34) def. Taylor Ormond (BAY, #22), 7-6, 7-6
4. Jana Bielikova (BAY, #37) def. Anete Bandere (PEP), 6-1, 7-5
5. Jelena Stanivuk (BAY) def. Jill Braverman (PEP), 6-3, 6-3
6. Alex Liles (PEP) def. Karolina Filipiak (BAY), 6-4, 7-5
Order of finish: 1, 4, 2, 5, 6, 3