March 1, 2003
WACO, Texas -
Baylor's women's tennis team lost a tough match 4-3 against No. 58 Florida State on Saturday at the Baylor Tennis Center. The Bears got off to a rough start losing the doubles point, but rallied with wins at the No. 2, 4, and 5 spots by Anna Moncolova, Daria Potapova and Izabela Mijic.
In doubles competition Florida State (FSU) made a clean sweep of Baylor. In the No. 2 spot FSU's Michaela Moldovano and Beth Lawrence defeated Barbora Blahutiakova and Alison Bradley 8-6. In the No. 3 spot it was the same outcome, Christina Denny and Brooke Cordell of FSU beat Stephanie Balzert and Daria Potapova 8-6. Finally, in the No. 1 spot the duo of FSU's Amberly Tantee and Daniela Gheorghe defeated Vida Mulec and Anna Moncolova 8-5.
In singles play, Izabela Mijic rebounded from her loss on Friday to defeat Amberly Tantee 6-2, 6-1 in the No. 5 spot. At the No. 2 position Anna Moncolova quickly beat Daniela Gheorghe 6-3, 6-2. Vida Mulec lost at No. 1, 6-1, 6-2 to Mihaela Moldovan. In the No. 4 spot Stephanie Balzert was defeated by Christina Denny 6-2, 7-5. In the No. 6 position Barbora Blahutiakova was defeated by Alina Mihailescu 6-4, 6-4, and
at No. 4 singles, Daria Potapova hung on to beat Brooke Cordell 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.
The Bears' next match is on Thurs., March 6 at 6 p.m. against Texas at he Baylor Tennis Center in Waco. Live stats and updates of the match can be found at www.baylorbears.com.
#43 Baylor 3 (3-6) overall
#58 FSU 4 (6-1) overall
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Tantee/Gheorghe (FSU) def. Mulec/Moncolova (BU) 8-5
2. Moldovan/Lawrence (FSU) def.Blahutiakova/Alison Bradley (BU) 8-6
3. Denny/Cordell (FSU) def. Balzert/Potapova (BU) 8-6
Order of finish: 5,2,1,4,6,4
1. Mihaela Moldovan (FSU) def, Vida Mulec (BU) 6-1, 2-6
2. Anna Moncolova (BU) def. Daniela Gheorghe (FSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Christina Denny (FSU) def. Stephanie Balzert (BU) 2-6, 5-7
4. Daria Potapova (BU) def. Brooke Cordell (FSU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Izabela Mijic (BU) def. Amberly Tantee (FSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Alina Mihailescu (FSU) def. Barbora Blahutiakova (BU) 6-4, 6-4