March 5, 2004
WACO, Texas -
The Baylor women's tennis team brings home a loss after traveling to Austin on Friday evening. The Longhorns, currently ranked 10th nationally defeated the 35th-ranked Bears in a shutout 7-0, holding on firmly to their perfect conference record this season now 5-0.
Texas began by winning the doubles point in two of three sets, with Baylor posting a victory from the No. 1 spot as Carolin Walter and Daria Potapova defeated Katie Ruckert and Kendra Strohm 8-4. This would be Baylor's only win in the match.
The rest of the match proved to be a disappointing one for the Bears, finishing with losses in all six singles' spots. First out was Stephanie Balzert at the No. 2 spot, falling to last week's Big 12 player of the week, Katie Ruckert 6-2, 6-1. Texas' next victory came from the No. 4 position as Kelly Baritot defeated Baylor's Klara Zrustova 6-4, 6-0. Texas clinched the match as the No. 3 and No. 5 spots both won in three sets after losing the first set, but pulling out wins in the next two. Kendra Strohm defeated Daniela Covello 4-6, 6-1, 6-1from the No. 3 slot while Mia Marovic defeated Daria Potapova 3-6, 6-1, 6-1.
Texas topped off the win with victories from Petra Dizdar and Ristine Olson in the No. 1 and No. 6 positions, respectively. Baylor's Carolin Walter was defeated in the No. 1 spot 7-6, 6-2 while Iva Mihaylova fell in the No 6 spot 6-1, 6-7, (10-6).
Baylor's conference record is now 0-1 and holds a 2-7 season record while Texas is 7-1 on the season and 5-0 in conference play.
Baylor's next match is set for Saturday, March 6, at 1 p.m. at the Baylor Tennis Center where the No. 35 Bears will set off against No. 71 Nebraska.
Texas 7, Baylor 0
1. Petra Dizdar (Texas) def. Carolin Walter (Baylor), 7-6, 6-2
2. Katie Ruckert (Texas) def. Stephanie Balzert (Baylor), 6-2, 6-1
3. Kendra Strohm (Texas) def. Daniela Covello (Baylor), 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
4. Kelly Baritot (Texas) def. Klara Zrustova (Baylor), 6-4, 6-0
5. Mia Marovic (Texas) def. Daria Potapova (Baylor), 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
6. Ristine Olson (Texas) def. Iva Mihaylova (Baylor), 6-1, 6-7, (10-6)
1. Walter/Potapova (Baylor) def. Ruckert/Strohm (Texas), 8-4
2. Dizdar/Marovic (Texas) def. Zrustova/Covella (Baylor), 8-5
3. Olson/Baritot (Texas) def. Isabele Mijic/Balzert (Baylor), 8-3