March 10, 2004
WACO, Texas -
The 35th-ranked Baylor women's tennis posted a strong victory over No. 75 UTA Wednesday night, sweeping the match 7-0. With the win, the Bears improve their record to 4-7 while UTA now holds a 6-3 record on the season.
Baylor started off the match putting the first point on the board by winning the doubles point with victories from all three positions. This win marks the first match of the season the Bears received the doubles point. Carolin Walter teamed up with Daria Potapova to defeat Marketa Cizova and Daniela Novakova 8-3 from the No. 1 spot, followed by Daniela Covello and Klara Zrustova defeating Monika Peciulionyte and Simri van Rooyen 8-5. Matching up together for the first time this season, and posting their first win in doubles were Iva Mihaylova and Zuzana Krchnakova defeating Anete Roskalne and Jitka Vetrocova 8-5.
The Bears did not stop there, posting decisive victories from all positions, each winning in just two sets. No. 38 Carolin Walter started the singles' slaughter defeating #56 Monika Peciulionyte 6-2, 6-0. Next to finish was Daniela Covello from the No. 2 spot defeating Marketa Cizova 7-5, 6-2. Clinching the win for Baylor from the No. 4 position was Daria Potapova with the victory over Simri van Rooyen 6-1, 6-3. Iva Mihaylova followed by defeating Jitka Vetrocova 6-2, 6-1 from the No. 6 position. Playing at No. 5 and finishing fifth was Zuzana Krchnakova with the win over Anete Roskalne 6-4, 6-2. Last to finish, ending the match with a perfect win for Baylor was Klara Zrustova at the No. 3 position winning 6-3, 6-3 over Daniela Novakova.
Baylor's next match is set for Sunday, March 14 vs. No. 48 Missouri at 1 p.m. in Missouri.
Final: Baylor 7, UTA 0
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Walter/Potapova (BU) def. Cizova/Novakova (UTA) 8-3
2. Covello/Zrustova (BU) def. Peciulionyte/Van Rooyen (UTA) 8-5
3. Mihaylova/Krchnakova (BU) def. Rozkalne/Vetrovcova (UTA) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 4, 6, 5, 3
1. #38 Carolin Walter (BU) def. #56 Monika Peciulionyte (UTA) 6-2, 6-0
2. Daniela Covello (BU) def. Marketa Cizova (UTA) 7-5, 6-2
3. Klara Zrustova (BU) def. Daniela Novakova (UTA) 6-3, 6-3
4. Daria Potapova (BU) def. Simri van Rooyen (UTA) 6-1, 6-3
5. Zuzana Krchnakova (BU) def. Anete Roskalne (UTA) 6-4, 6-2
6. Iva Mihaylova (BU) def. Jitka Vetrovcova (UTA) 6-2, 6-1