March 14, 2008
WACO, Texas -
The fifth-ranked Baylor women's tennis team defeated No. 48 Virginia 6-1 Friday evening at the Baylor Tennis Center.
Baylor won the doubles point to take an early lead over the Virginia Cavaliers. The second-ranked tandem of Zuzana Zemenova and Lenka Broosova earned Baylor's the first win by defeating Amanda Rales and Lara Alexander 8-3. Taylor Ormond and Jelena Stanivuk, ranked No. 41, secured the doubles point for the Bears with an 8-5 victory over Lindsey Pereira and Maggie Yahner. Virginia's Jennifer Stevens and Hampton Williams downed Karolina Filipiak and Zuzana Chmelarova on court 3, 8-5.
The Cavaliers evened the match at 1-1 when Jennifer Stevens upset 19th-ranked Ormond 6-3, 6-2 on court 2. The Bears would then sweep the five remaining singles matches to secure the victory. Winning for the Bears were Zemenova, Broosova, Bielikova, Staivuk and Filipiak.
"It was great to get another win under our belt. No. 1 and 2 doubles got us started off on the right foot, they were focused and disciplined. That mentality transferred over to most of the singles matches. Taylor (Ormond) ran into a buzz saw today, Stevens played incredibly great tonight, give her a lot of credit. Jana (Bielikova) did great to win the tiebreaker. She lost that first set then refocused and made smart decisions," said head coach Joey Scrivano.
The Bears, now 15-1 on the season, will travel to University, Miss., to play the University of Mississippi on Sunday, March 16..
#5 Baylor 7, #48 Virginia 0
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 1, 3, 5, 4
1. #25 Zuzana Zemenova (BU) def. #124 Amanda Rales (UVA) 6-0, 6-2
2. Jennifer Stevens (UVA) def. #19 Taylor Ormond (BU) 6-3, 6-2
3. #8 Lenka Broosova (BU) def. Maggie Yahner (UVA) 6-2, 6-1
4. #79 Jana Bielikova (BU) def. Lindsay Pereira (UVA) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (1)
5. #123 Jelena Staivuk (BU) def. Lara Alexander (UVA) 6-0, 7-5
6. Karolina Filipiak (BU) vs. Hampton Williams (UVA) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. #2 Zemenova/Broosova (BU) def. Rales/Alexander (UVA) 8-3
2. #41 Ormond/Stanivuk (BU) def. Pereira/Yahner (UVA) 8-5
3. Stevens/Williams (UVA) def. Filipiak/Zuzana Chmelarova (BU) 8-5