Klara Zrustova clinched the win for the Bears with a victory over Morgan Sall 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
March 26, 2004
WACO, Texas -- - The 43rd ranked Baylor women's tennis team defeated No. 54 Colorado 5-2 on Friday evening in Waco at the Baylor Tennis Center. Baylor has now gained their fourth conference win with the victory and improves their season record to 7-8, while Colorado is now 8-6 on the season with a 4-2 conference record.
Baylor got on the board early with wins in all three doubles positions. First to finish, in the No. 1 spot, was the duo of Carolin Walter and Daria Potapova who defeated Colorado's Morgan Sall and Jessica Vanderdys in a quick 8-2. Next to finish, clinching the doubles point for the Bears, were Daniela Covello and Klara Zrustova from the No. 2 position defeating Lynzee Kever and Kendra Strandemo 8-4. Finishing off doubles competition with a sweep were Stephanie Balzert and Iva Mihaylova, defeating Jenny Hansen and Martina Sedivic 8-6.
In singles competition, Iva Mihaylova put the first points on the board with a win over Kristy Randono 6-2, 6-1 from the No. 6 spot. Next to finish was Daniela Covello, falling to Colorado's Jessica Vanderdys 2-6, 5-7, giving the Buffaloes their first points of the match. In the No. four position, Daria Potapova defeated Martina Sedivec after losing the first set in a tie breaker 6-7 (3), but pulling out the win in the next two sets 6-1, 6-0. Solidifying the win for the Bears, was Klara Zrustova from the No. 5 spot, with a come-back victory over Morgan Sall 1-6, 6-3, 6-2. In the top seed, No. 42 Carolin Walter defeated Colorado's No. 65 Lynzee Kever 6-4, 7-5, (8-6). Colorado's second point of the match came in the end, as Kendra Strandemo defeated Stephanie Balzert 6-2, 4-6, 1-6.
Baylor's next match is set for Wednesday, March 31 at 5 p.m. at the Baylor Tennis Center in Waco, Texas where they will face off against the SMU Mustangs.
Final: Baylor 5, Colorado 2
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Walter/Potapova (BU) def. Sall/Vanderdys (CU) 8-2
2. Covello/Zrustova (BU) def. Kever/Strandemo (CU) 8-4
3. Balzert/Mihaylova (BU) def. Hanson/Sedivec (CU) 8-6
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 4, 5, 1, 3
1. #42 Carolin Walter (BU) def. #65 Lynzee Kever (CU) 6-4, 7-5 (8-6)
2. Jessica Vanderdys (CU) def. Daniela Covello (BU) 2-6, 5-7
3. Kendra Strandemo (CU) def. Stephanie Balzert (BU) 6-2, 4-6, 1-6
4. Daria Potapova (BU) def. Martina Sedivec (CU) 6-7 (3), 6-1, 6-0
5. Klara Zrustova (BU) def. Morgan Sall (CU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Iva Mihaylova (BU) def. Kristy Randono (CU) 6-2, 6-1
Records: Baylor (7-8, 4-1)
Colorado (8-6, 4-2)