Blahutiakova earned the clinching match in the upset win over the Aggies on Wednesday night.
March 27, 2003
COLLEGE STATION, Tx. - Baylor's Daria Potapova extended her winning streak on Wednesday night to eight as she defeated A&M's Roberta Spencer, 6-4, 1-6, 6-4, en route to a Baylor upset over No. 28 Texas A&M, 4-3. The Bears have now won five of the last six matches against the Aggies, and with the win move to 7-9 overall, 5-1 in the Big 12. The Bears now trail Texas by one match for first place in the Big 12.
In doubles play, the only bright spot for the Bears was a win by Vida Mulec and Anna Moncolova in the No. 2 spot, 9-7, over Ashley Hedberg and Lauren Walker. The duo of Stephanie Balzert and Izabela Mijic suffered their first loss of the season after a six-game win streak to Nicki Mechem and Seva Iwinski, 8-5, in the No. 3 spot. Alison Bradley and Daria Potapova were swept in the No. 1 spot, 8-0, by #38 Jessica Roland and Roberta Spencer.
In singles action, Barbora Blahutiakova returned after a two-week absence, due to illness, to win the clinching match over Iwinski, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6(4). Mijic has continued in her winning ways as she won her thirteenth match of the spring season over Mecham 6-2, 3-6, 6-3. Stephanie Balzert earned a strong win over Lauren Walker, 6-2, 7-5. Mulec lost her first match after a three-game winning streak to A&M's Roland in the No. 1 spot 6-4, 6-1, and Moncolova lossed a close match to Hedberg 7-6(6), 2-6, 7-5.
The Bears return to Waco this weekend for a match against Kansas at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday at the Baylor Tennis Center. Live internet updates can be accessed at www.baylorbears.com.
No. 44 Baylor 4, No. 28 Texas A&M 3
1. Jessica Roland (A&M) def. Vida Mulec (BU), 6-4, 6-1
2. Ashley Hedberg (A&M) def. Anna Moncolova (BU), 7-6 (6), 2-6, 7-5
3. Daria Potapova (BU) def. Roberta Spencer (A&M), 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
4. Stephanie Balzert (BU) def. Lauren Walker (A&M), 6-2, 7-5
5. Izabela Mijic (BU) def. Nicki Mechem (A&M), 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
6. Barbora Blahutiakova (BU) def. Seva Iwinski (A&M), 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (4)*
Doubles (A&M wins the point)
1. (#38) Roland/Spencer (A&M) def. Alison Bradley/Potapova (BU), 8-0
2. Moncolova/Mulec (BU) def. Hedberg/Walker (A&M), 9-7
3. Iwinski/Mechem (A&M) def. Balzert/Mijic (BU), 8-5
(Order of finish: D1, D3, D2, S1, S4, S5, S3, S6, S2)