April 5, 2003
WACO, Texas -
Baylor stumbled out of the blocks losing the doubles point and was never able to recover, losing 6-1 in their last home match of the season. With the win, Tulane improves to 14-4, while Baylor drops to 8-10, 6-1, with the loss. Tulane is currently ranked No. 26 by the ITA, while Baylor is listed at No. 40.
Tulane took an early 1-0 lead after winning the opening doubles point. Maria Ivanov and Nancy Kockott of Tulane quickly defeated Alison Bradley and Daria Potapova 3-8 in the No. 1 spot. Barbora Blahutiakova and Izabela Mijic had Baylor's only doubles win beating Erika Valdes and Ana Saaibi 8-5. Jenny Kuhn and Julie Smekodub, the No. 9 ranked doubles pair for Tulane, defeated the duo of Stephanie Balzert and Vida Mulec 6-8.
Play did not improve for the Bears in singles action. Potapova's nine-match winning steak ended with a loss to #44 Jenny Kuhn 1-6, 7-5, 8-9. Potapova has only lost two of her last 15 matches. Vida Mulec was Baylor's lone bright spot in singles upsetting #27 Julie Smekodub 4-6, 7-5, 9-7.
The Bear's season continues on Thurs. April, 10 at 12 p.m. in Lincoln, Nebraska when the Bear's take on the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Results can be accessed at www.baylorbears.com.
Order of finish: 1,3,2
1. Maria Ivanov/Nancy Kockott, TU def. Alison Bradley/Daria Potapova, BU 3-8
2. #9 Jenny Kuhn/Julie Smekodub, TU def. Stephanie Balzert /Vida Mulec, BU 6-8
3. Barbie Blahutiakova/Izabela Mijic, BU def. Erika Valdes/Ana Saaibi TU 8-5
Order of finish:6,3,4,2,1,5
1. Vida Mulec, BU def. #27 Julie Smekodub, TU 4-6, 7-5, 9-7
2. . #44 Jenny Kuhn, TU def. Daria Potapova BU 1-6, 7-5, 8-9
3. Maria Ivanov, TU def. Stephanie Balzert , BU 1-6, 0-6
4. #77 Erika Valdez, TU def. Izabela Mijic BU 2-6, 2-6
5. Ana Saaibi, TU def. Barbora Blahutiakova BU 2-6, 6-4, 7-10
6. Nancy Kockott, TU def. Alison Bradley BU 1-6, 3-6
#40 Baylor: 8-10 6-1
#26 Tulane: 14-4