April 25, 2003
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The 36th-ranked Baylor women's tennis team was eliminated from the Big 12 Tournament with a 4-2 loss to No. 38 Colorado on Friday. The match was played at the indoor courts of the Kansas City Tennis Center. Due to playing indoors, only three courts were used at a time.
Doubles were the first matches to be played, all three starting at the same time. Baylor's Vida Mulec and Stephanie Balzert, playing at No. 1, breezed to an 8-2 win over Dominique Lempere and Lia Dimingo. At No. 2, Daria Potapova and Alison Bradley fell behind early (4-1) but rebounded to take three of the next five games before finally falling 8-4. At No. 3 Barbora Blahutiakova and Izabela Mijic fell behind 5-1 but won five of the next seven games before the Buffaloes prevailed 8-6 to gain the doubles point for their team.
Singles, with only three courts in play, seemed to go on forever. The top three spots took to the courts first. No. 2 singles was the first match to walk off the court. Baylor freshman Stephanie Balzert avenged an earlier loss to Colorado's Katherine Anne Lutgert, taking the victory 6-2, 6-2. Daria Potapova took just a little bit longer to give Baylor their second points when she also avenged a earlier loss when she beat Lia Dimingo at No. 3, 6-3, 6-1. The Buffs would then earn victories at Nos. 4 and 5 to make the score 3-2 in favor of Colorado. Meanwhile Baylor's Vida Mulec and CU's Dominique Lemperle were engaged in war at the No. 1 spot. Mulec took the first set 6-3 and was up 5-4 in the second set before Lemperle won the final three games to post a 7-5 win. With the third set tied at 4-4 Lemperle broke Mulec's serve and went on to hold her serve to earn a 6-4 win and clinch the victory for Colorado.
Baylor's record drops to 11-12 on the season while Colorado moves to 14-7.
No. 38 Colorado 4, No. 3 Baylor 2
1. Mulec/Balzert (BU) def. Dimingo/Lemperle (CU) 8-2
2. Sall/Strandemo (CU) def. Bradley/Potapova (BU) 8-6
3. Vanderdys/Sarah Burrows (CU) def. Mijic/Blahutiakova (BU) 8-6
1. Dominique Lemperle (CU) def. Vida Mulec (BU) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
2. Stephanie Balzert (BU) def. Katherine Anne Lutgert (CU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Daria Potapova (BU) def. Lia Dimingo (CU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Kendra Strandemo (CU) def. Izabela Mijic (BU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Jessica Vanderdys (CU) def. Barbora Blahutiakova (BU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Zuzana Krchnakova (BU) vs. Morgan Sall DNF