April 27, 2008
COLLEGE STATION, Texas -
On a windy overcast day, the top-seeded Baylor women's tennis claimed its third straight Big 12 Championship title by downing the University of Texas on Sunday at the George P. Mitchell Tennis Center at College Station, Texas.
No. 3 Baylor's win over Texas raised its record to 28-2 while the No. 20 Longhorns, the tournament's No. 2 seed, falls to 18-6. The victory extended the Bears' win streak to 11 matches.
The start of the match was delayed an hour and 15 minutes because of rain and due of the threat of inclement weather, the match began with singles.competition. Since Baylor claimed four points in singles to post the victory, doubles were not contested.
For the third straight day, Lenka Broosova and Zuzana Zemenova breezed through their matches to record victories. Broosova, ranked No. 17 drubbed Stephanie Davison, 6-0, 6-1, while No. 24 Zemenova downed 59th-ranked Vanja Corovic, 6-2, 6-3. In addition, Zemenova was named the tournament's most outstanding player. Jelena Stanivuk and No. 100 Jana Bielikova finished their matches within a minute of each other to produce the Baylor victory. Stanivuk downed Maggie Mello, 7-5, 6-1, while Bielikova triumphed over Caroline Larsson, 6-2, 7-5. Texas gained its only point of the day when Sarah Lancaster produced a win at No. 6 between the completion of Stanivuk and Bielkova's matches.
"It's great feeling (on winning third Big 12 Championship). We played very well today. Texas is such a good opponent and it's hard to beat a team twice basically in a week. We faced some tough conditions with the weather today, I was really proud of the way we played. Any time you have this kind of wind, you have to really focus. You can't play any loose points. We had a big bull's eye on our back today, so that was an added pressure," said head coach Joey Scrivano.
#3 Baylor 4, #20 Texas 1
Big 12 Conference Championship - College Station, Texas
Order of finish: 3, 1, 5, 4*, 6
1. #24 Zuzana Zemenova (BU) def. #59 Vanja Corovic (UT) 6-2, 6-3
2. #38 Taylor Ormond (BU) vs. Courtney Zauft (UT) DNF
3. #17 Lenka Broosova (BU) def. Stephanie Davison (UT) 6-0, 6-1
4. #100 Jana Bielikova (BU) def. Caroline Larsson (UT) 6-2, 7-5
5. Jelena Stanivuk (BU) def. Maggie Mello (UT) 7-5, 6-1
6. Sarah Lancaster (UT) def. Zuzana Chmelarova (BU) 6-2, 6-3
1. #5 Broosova/Zemenova (BU) vs. #28 Corovic/Marija Milic (UT) DNP
2. #59 Ormond/Stanivuk (BU) vs. Davison/Larsson (UT) DNP
3. Bielikova/Chmelarova (BU) vs. Mello/Zauft (UT) DNP