May 10, 2003
WACO, Texas -
The 36th-ranked Baylor women's tennis team saw their season come to an end with a loss in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to the 19th-ranked Clemson Tigers on Saturday morning at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center in Chapel Hill, N.C.
The Bears, 2003 Big 12 champions, fell to the Tigers 4-1 in first round action. Clemson now advances to the second round to play the winner of the University of North Carolina/College of Charleson match.
In a match that lasted 2 hours and 20 minutes, Clemson jumped out to an early lead by sweeping all three doubles matches. The 27th ranked duo of Julie Coin and Laurence Jayet downed Baylor's Vida Mulec and Stephanie Balzert, 8-0, at the top spot. The Tigers won at No. 2, 8-2, and at No. 3, 8-3.
Freshman Zuzana Krchnakova provided Baylor with its only point of the match when she won at No. 6 over Ania Dolinska 6-1, 6-3. Vida Mulec, playing 19th-ranked Julie Coin lost in straight sets as did Stephanie Balzert against 49th-ranked Alix Lacelaric. Laurence Jayet posted a 6-3, 6-3 win over BU's Barbora Blahutiakova for another Clemson point.
Baylor's extremely young squad finishes their season with a record of 11-13. Senior Vida Mulec and junior Alison Bradley are the only two upperclassmen on this year's team. The rest of the roster consists of five freshmen and sophomores. In addition, sixteen of the Bears' 24 matches this season were against top 50 teams.
No. 19 Clemson 4, No. 36 Baylor 1
Order of finish - 2, 6, 5, 1
1. #19 Julie Coin (Clemson) def. Vida Mulec (BU) 6-2, 6-3
2. #49 Alix Lacelarie (Clemson) def. Stephanie Balzert (BU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Daniela Alvarez (Clemson) vs. Daria Potapova (BU) DNF
4. Ioana Paun (Clemson ) vs Izabela Mijic (BU) DNF
5. Laurence Jayet (Clemson ) def. Barbora Blahutiakova (BU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Zuzana Krchnakova (BU) def. Ania Dolinska (Clemson ) 6-1, 6-3
1. #27 Coin/Jayet (Clemson) def. Mulec/Balzert (BU) 8-0
2. Alvarez/Lacelaire (Clemson) der. Mijic/Potapova (BU) 8-2
3. Dolinska/Richelle LeSaldo (Clemson) def. Blahutiakova/Alison Bradley (BU) 8-3