April 26, 2012
|No. 12  Baylor (22-6 overall, 7-2 Big 12)
April 27-29 | College Station, Texas | George P. Mitchell Tennis Center
Women's Championship Central | Tournament Notes | Live Blog
- The Baylor women enter the weekend in search of their seventh consecutive Big 12 Championship title. Baylor has won each of the last six tournament championships, entering as No. 1 seed each time. The Lady Bears are the No. 2 seed this weekend.
- Baylor finished tied for second in the league, breaking a string of seven consecutive Big 12 regular season titles. The Lady Bears’ league record of 7-2 marked the first time since 2004 they finished with more than one conference loss.
- Baylor is currently ranked No. 12 with three ranked singles players, including No. 15 Diana Nakic, No. 22 Nina Secerbegovic and No. 48 Sona Novakova, and one ranked doubles tandem, Secerbegovic and Ema Burgic at No. 12.
- The Lady Bears ended the season with three consecutive shutouts, defeating SMU 5-0, No. 44 Missouri 7-0 and Iowa State 4-0. The last win was the 300th in the 12-year career of head coach Joey Scrivano (300-80).
- As a team, Baylor compiled a 12-6 mark against ranked opponents, while going a perfect 10-0 versus unranked teams. All of BU’s losses came against top-25 opponents, going 6-6 in those matches.
- Individually, Baylor’s Sona Novakova and Nina Secerbegovic have been the hottest players of late. Both are 25-3 on the season and Novakova comes in with a 12-match win streak, while Secerbegovic has an 11-match win streak.
- Baylor’s season has featured two winning streaks of more than seven matches. The Lady Bears began the season with nine straight wins, lost five of eight, and then won 10 of the last 11, including seven in a row.
- The Lady Bears claimed two Big 12 Player of the Week honors this season. Nina Secerbegovic was honored twice, winning the award on March 26 and April 9. The BU senior has won the award five times in her career.
- Secerbegovic’s career singles win total stands at 123, leaving her just four behind second place all-time in program history. Her career record of 123-17 results in a winning percentage of .879, the highest ever at Baylor.
- Three Baylor student-athletes were named to the Big 12 All-Academic Team, including three-time honoree Nina Secerbegovic, Sona Novakova and Diana Nakic.
BAYLOR’S CURRENT TEAM LEADERS
OVERALL - 2012
Singles Wins: 31, Diana Nakic
Singles Win Percentage: .893 (25-3), Secerbegovic, Novakova
Doubles Wins: 18, Diana Nakic
Doubles Win Percentage:.652 (15-8), Nina Secerbegovic
CAREER in BIG 12 CONFERENCE (Min. 15 matches)
Singles Wins: 34, Nina Secerbegovic
Singles Win Percentage: .944 (34-2), Nina Secerbegovic
Doubles Wins: 27, Nina Secerbegovic
Doubles Win Percentage: .789 (15-4), Sona Novakova