Oct. 22, 2006
FT. WORTH, Texas - Baylor's Zuzana Cerna and Lenka Broosova remain alive in the Wilson/Intercollegiate Tennis Association Women's Southwest Regional Championships hosted by TCU. Cerna and Klara Zrustova advanced through the singles main draw to the semifinals before being defeated by Aggie netters.
Baylor's fourth-seeded pair Cerna and Broosova defeated 11th-seeded (11) Lata Assudani and Irina Sotnikova from Sam Houston State 8-3 and face Texas' 13th-seeded Stephanie Davison and Petra Dizdar in the quarterfinals Sunday evening.
Cerna, the tournament's top seed, picked up round of 64, round of 32, round of 16, and quarterfinal wins before facing Texas A&M's Elze Potgieter in the semifinals. The netters battled through two longs sets before the Aggie finalized a 7-5, 7-6(6) victory.
Zrustova, the third seed, barreled through the first four rounds and faced the second-seeded Anna Lubinsky. The Aggie advanced to the finals with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Zrustova.
Doubles action continues Sunday evening and results for Cerna and Broosova's quarterfinal match will be posted upon availability.
Wilson/ITA Southwest Regional Championships.
Round of 32
(1) Zuzana Cerna (BU) def. Anastasiya Buroda (LSU) 6-2, 6-4
(8) Lenka Broosova (BU) def. Marisa Druss (TAMU) 6-1, 6-0
(10) Iva Mihaylova (BU) def. Julie Chao (Rice) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
(3) Klara Zrustova (BU) def. Hannah Robinson (LSU) 6-5, 6-3
(13) Jessica Zok (BU) def. Natalie Wallin (UTSA) def. 6-3, 6-5
Round of 16
(1) Zuzana Cerna (BU) def. Christine Dao (Rice) 6-0, 6-4
(8) Lenka Broosova (BU) def. (14) Natalia Bubin (SMU) 6-1, 6-1
(10) Iva Mihaylova (BU) def. Samantha Vander Drift (Texas Tech) 6-1, 6-2
(3) Klara Zrustova (BU) def. (16) Kewa Nichols (TEC) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
(13) Jessica Zok (BU) def. (4) Petra Dizdar (Texas) 6-4, 6-3
(1) Zuzana Cerna (BU) def. Vanja Corovic (Texas) 6-3, 6-2
Elze Potgieter (TAMU) def. (13) Jessica Zok (BU) 6-4, 7-6
(3) Klara Zrustova (BU) def. (10) Iva Mihaylova (BU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-0
(2) Anna Lubinsky (TAMU) def. (8) Lenka Broosova (BU) 2-6, 6-0, 6-1