Aug. 26, 2014
WACO, Texas – Baylor’s volleyball team completed its annual Green vs. Gold Scrimmage Tuesday night with the “green” team taking a 21-25, 25-20, 25-22 win over the “white” team at the Ferrell Center Tuesday night.
Head coach Jim Barnes said he was pleased with the performance of both sides and that the team was able to work several lineups that will be effective for the season.
Both sides hit efficiently in the first set with the green team hitting .222 and the white team hitting a match-high .296. However, the green side took advantage of a just a .075 hitting effort from the white team in set two, before posting a .281 hitting percentage of its own to close out the white team in the third set.
- Nicole Bardaji led all players with 13 kills on a .250 hitting percentage.
- Andie Malloy (12), and Thea Munch-Soegaard (12) each finished with double-digit kills for their respective teams.
- Amy Rosenbaum led the setters with 27 assists while Morgan Reed collected 20.
- Rosenbaum led all players with 12 digs.
- Tola Itiola led Baylor with five total blocks and added seven kills on a .500 attacking percentage.
STAT OF THE GAME I
12 – Newcomer Andie Malloy had a dozen kills on a .276 hitting percentage with five digs and four blocks in the three-set scrimmage.
THEY SAID IT
Head Coach Jim Barnes reacts to Baylor’s performance in the intrasquad scrimmage
“The first set we both hit a high percentage, not as much the second and third, but we saw a lot of nice attacks from different people. I like what I saw from Tola [Itiola] in transition she had some quick swings out of the middle and was hitting over the block.”
Baylor plays host to Abilene Christian, Portland and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Friday and Saturday at the Hampton Inn Waco North Baylor Invitational. The Bears face Abilene Christian first, Friday at 7 p.m. at the Ferrell Center.