Attendance: 747 | Records: BU (1-0); ACU (0-1)
WACO, Texas - The Baylor University Volleyball team started fast and finished strong in a 25-15, 25-20, 25-8 victory over Abilene Christian to open the 2014 season Friday night at the Ferrell Center.
The Bears (1-0) hit .407 as a team, and Andie Malloy and Adrien Richburg had 10 kills apiece to lead the home team. Richburg hit .833 on 12 attempts with no errors while Malloy, playing in her first game since December of 2012, hit a respectable .300 with eight digs.
Amy Rosenbaum and Morgan Reed split setter duties with 19 and 12 assists, respectively to lead the Baylor offense. The Bears had 45 kills and just eight errors on 91 attempts to hit the .407 clip; Baylor had just one match all season last year over the .400 mark offensively.
Baylor had a 9-0 run to extend the lead to 17-6 over the Wildcats (0-1) in set one, began set two with a 5-0 lead, and scored 15 of the last 18 points of set three in the convincing victory.
- Baylor is now 8-3 in season openers in the Jim Barnes era, including 4-0 at home; the program is 20-17 all-time in the first match of the season after Friday night's win.
- Friday marked just the ninth time in school history that Baylor opened the season in Waco, and the Bears are now 6-3 all-time at home to start the year.
- Baylor is 4-1 all-time vs. Abilene Christian and 2-0 in Waco against the Wildcats.
- Andie Malloy had 10 kills in her first match since Dec. 7, 2012 when she was a member of the Iowa State Cyclones.
- Adrien Richburg's 10 kills came with an .833 hitting percentage, which was the second highest hitting percentage of her career, and the third highest of any Baylor player in school history in a three-set match. Richburg holds that record with a 1.000 hitting percentage (10-0-10, vs. SMU 9/13/13) and Cory Silverston's .938 mark (15-0-16), ranks second.
- Hope Ogden led Baylor with 12 digs and added six assists.
- Amy Rosenbaum led Baylor with 19 assists and Morgan Reed pitched in a dozen. For Reed, the 12 assists put her over the 300-career assists mark, and she has 306 headed into tomorrow's match.
- Richburg had four blocks and tied with teammate Nicole Bardaji for the team lead; Bardaji added seven kills on a .467 hitting percentage.
STAT OF THE GAME I
23 - Abilene Christian managed just 23 kills against the Baylor defense, the lowest output by a Bears opponent since Sept. 8, 2012 (Bethune-Cookman, 19).
THEY SAID IT
Head Coach Jim Barnes on winning in straight sets
"We were just in the locker room talking about what we were most proud of: jumping high and hitting hard. We played with great energy and focus. Every person on this team's energy was right, the focus was right, and that's what makes a special team."
Baylor (1-0) plays Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (1-0) at 10 a.m. tomorrow to continue the Hampton Inn Waco North Baylor Invitational at the Ferrell Center. The Bears will close out with a match against Portland (0-1) at 7 p.m.