Sep 7, 2013
(3-4) Rank: NR
Waco, Texas. Attendance: 534
(2-5) Rank: NR
WACO, Texas - Baylor ended the Baylor Classic on a high note defeating Mississippi State Saturday night at the Ferrell Center, 22-25, 27-25, 25-17, 25-18. The Bears had dropped their first two matches of the tournament, but Baylor overcame a slow start in set one against the Bulldogs and improved to 2-5 on the season with the victory.
Zoe Adom and Thea Munch-Soegaard each had 18 kills to lead the Bears offensively. Munch-Soegaard matched her career high for kills, and the sophomore had a double-double with 13 digs. The Bears hit .272 as a team, but the story came defensively as Baylor out-blocked the Bulldogs 15.0-4.0.
Laura Jones and Adrien Richburg had eight assisted blocks apiece and Mackenzie Mayo led the team with 18 digs. In the losing effort, Kimmy Gardiner had 20 kills and Taylor Scott had 10 kills and 17 digs for Mississippi State. Both were all-tournament selections while Adom was Baylor's representative.
Tulsa went 3-0 in the tournament while Baylor, UT Arlington and Mississippi State all went 1-2. Tulsa's senior outside hitter Erica Bohannon was named Baylor Classic MVP after hitting .463 with 45 kills.
- Thea Munch-Soegaard tied a career-high with 18 kills; she added her sixth career double-double with 13 digs. She hit .381 to lead the Bears offensively.
- Adom was one kill away from her season-high with 18, and she hit .302. She was named to the all-tournament team posting 44 kills in 11 sets.
- Nicole Bardaji matched a career-high with eight kills, hit .308 and added six blocks
- Amy Rosenbaum added a season and career-high 48 assists along with a career-high nine digs
- Hope Ogden provided a spark off the bench with eight digs
- Mayo's 18 digs were a season-high for the sophomore libero.
- Jones' eight blocks were a career-high and she passed her previous total of six.
STAT OF THE GAME I
15.0 - Team blocks for Baylor; a season-high passing its total of 14.5 vs. Cal Poly Aug. 31.
STAT OF THE GAME II
72 - Bears' number of team digs; a season-high with its previous best being 55 vs. Cal Poly Aug. 31
The Bears take to the road Tuesday night in San Marcos, Texas to play Texas State before returning home to play host to the Baylor Invitational, which includes Colorado, Appalachian State and Northwestern State Friday and Saturday.