Sept. 18, 2013
(3-8) Rank: NR
Houston, Texas. Attendance: 196
(5-7) Rank: NR
HOUSTON, Texas - The Baylor volleyball team picked up its first road win of the season Wednesday night at Tudor Fieldhouse, overcoming a rough start in set one to take a 18-25, 25-21, 25-21, 25-14 victory over Rice. Zoe Adom had 13 kills and Thea Munch-Soegaard had her fifth double-double in the last six matches with 11 kills and 15 digs for Baylor (5-7).
The Bears hit only .125 in the set one loss but rebounded with solid hitting efforts in the second and fourth sets at .348 and .481 marks respectively. After leading 16-10 in set two, Baylor let Rice knot the score up at 17 apiece, but the Bears scored eight of the last 12 points to begin the roll.
Amy Rosenbaum paced the Bears' .282 hitting effort with 37 assists, and defensively Baylor out-blocked the Owls 9-5. Laura Jones added 10 kills and hit .350 for Baylor while Nicole Bardaji added a career-high nine kills.
In the losing effort Jillian Humphrey had 14 kills for Rice (3-8). The Owls hit .228 and were led defensively by Daniela Arenas with 21 digs.
- Thea Munch-Soegaard had her sixth double-double of the season and fifth in the last six matches for Baylor. She passed the400-career digs mark and has 404 for career after leading Baylor with 15 in the match. She hit .250 with 11 kills and added two service aces for the Bears.
- Zoe Adom is two kills shy of 700 for her career after leading Baylor with 13 kills in the win over Rice.
- Laura Jones' 10 kills gives her four matches on the season with double-digit kills
- Nicole Bardaji's nine kills was a career high for the junior passing her previous total of eight.
- Freshman middle hitter Tola Itiola continues to improve in the starting role; she added season-and-career highs with eight kills; she added four assisted blocks as well.
- Mackenzie Mayo passed the 450-career digs mark; needing just four coming into the match, she finished with 14 to give her 460 for her career.
STAT OF THE GAME I
.481 - Baylor's hitting percentage in the final set to close out the match; the Bears had 14 kills and just one error on 27 attacks.
STAT OF THE GAME II
7 - The Bears had seven service aces to set a team-season high passing its previous high of four.
Baylor takes on LSU in the first day of the Flo Hyman Collegiate Cup hosted by the University of Houston Friday at 4:30 p.m.