Sept. 20, 2013
(9-1) Rank: NR
Houston, Texas. Attendance: 187
(5-8) Rank: NR
HOUSTON, Texas - LSU rallied from two sets down to defeat the Baylor Bears 26-28, 18-25, 25-16, 25-18, 15-8 Friday afternoon at the Athletics / Alumni Center. The Bears combined for 25 kills in the first two sets, but then totaled only 22 in the final three sets as the Tigers went on an offensive surge to take the victory.
Two 8-0 runs by LSU (9-1) proved to be the doom for the Bears (5-8) in the match. Baylor, trying for the sweep in set three, led 11-10 before LSU rattled off eight-straight points capped by a service ace from Haley Smith. Then, in set five, the Tigers jumped out to an 8-0 lead in the deciding set ended only on an attack error by LSU's Katarina Raicevic. Needless to say, the Bears didn't recover getting only as close as six points within the lead.
LSU had four players in double-figure kills with Briana Holman leading all players with 19 kills. In the losing effort, Thea Munch-Soegaard had her sixth double-double in the last seven matches leading Baylor with 14 kills and 16 digs.
- Thea Munch-Soegaard had her sixth double-double in the last seven matches with 14 kills and 16 digs. The sophomore outside hitter also passed the 300-career kills mark in the match.
- Zoe Adom needed just two kills to reach 700 for her career, and she got it with the first point in the second set for Baylor; she finished the match with nine kills.
- Tola Itiola had a season-high with eight blocks for Baylor.
- Mackenzie Mayo had a team-high 19 digs and Kayci Evans had a season-high with 17.
- Baylor matched a season-high with 14.5 team blocks, but did not have one in the last set.
STAT OF THE GAME I
2008 - The last time a Baylor team won the first two sets of a match and lost in five (vs. KU Oct. 25, 2008).
STAT OF THE GAME II
22 - The Bears had just 22 combined kills in the final three sets of the match.
Baylor takes on North Texas at 2:30 p.m. and the University of Houston at 7 p.m. to close the Flo Hyman Collegiate Cup Saturday.