Oct. 23, 2013
(14-6, 2-5) Rank: NR
Waco, Texas. Attendance: 639
(10-13, 2-5) Rank: NR
WACO, Texas - Morgan Reed recorded a double-double in her first collegiate start at setter for Baylor, and the Bears improved to 10-13 overall and 2-5 in Big 12 play with a 18-15, 29-27, 25-20, 25-20 victory over Kansas State Wednesday night at the Ferrell Center.
Reed rewarded head coach Jim Barnes on his birthday with a 41-assist, 13-dig performance after the freshman had not played since Sept. 14 vs. Colorado. Laura Jones also posted her first career double-double for Baylor with 11 kills and a career-high 12 digs, while Sam Hill had her best match of the season with career-highs in kills with eight and blocks with seven.
The Bears out-dug KSU 73-65 and took advantage of 19 combined errors by the Wildcats in service and serve receive to take the victory. The Wildcats (14-6, 2-5) suffered nine service errors and Baylor posted a season-high with 10 aces, led by Zoe Adom's three.
After a lackluster first set, Baylor trailed 19-16 in set two before rattling off five consecutive points to take a 21-19 lead thanks to two kills from Jones and one from Hill. From there, the Bears outlasted KSU to take set two 29-27. In the final two sets, KSU suffered 14 of its 19 serve and serve-receive errors contributing to the loss.
The Wildcats' Courtney Traxson and Dakota Kaufman led in a losing effort with 14 and 13 kills respectively.
- Morgan Reed's first college start at setter resulted in a double-double with 41 assists and 13 digs
- Laura Jones posted her first career double-double with 11 kills and a career-high 12 digs; it was Jones' 10 match this season with at least 10 kills
- Baylor's 54 kills, 73 digs and 12.5 team blocks were each the most by the team against Big 12 opponents this season
- Sam Hill had just one kill and one block entering into the match with KSU, but she picked up carer-highs with eight and seven respectively
- Kayci Evans' 12 digs marked the eighth time this season she's had at least 10 digs in a match
- Mackenzie Mayo led the Bears with 16 digs leaving her one shy of reaching 600 for her career in just her second season with the team
STAT OF THE GAME I
10 - Baylor had 10 service aces, the most for the Bears in 2013, and the most since recording 11 Nov. 21, 2012 at Texas Tech.
STAT OF THE GAME II
55 - Kansas State's combined errors in the match: 22 attacking, nine in service, 10 in serve receive, two blocking and two ball handling
THEY SAID IT
Jim Barnes on the Bears' performance
"We told the team that we were going to make lineup changes and it will be who's winning in practice. So we let them compete in practice, and the ones who won were on the floor. To see a freshman Morgan [Reed] in her first Big 12 match, how poised she was tremendous. And Sam Hill same thing; a redshirt freshman coming off an ACL, her first time really to play, she did a tremendous job for us. There were a lot of changes, but they stepped up and really played great."
The Bears will look to build momentum on the road Saturday when it faces Texas Tech (8-15, 1-5) in Lubbock at 1 p.m.