Nov. 9, 2013
(15-11, 3-8) Rank: NR
Fort Worth, Texas. • Attendance: 2,023
(11-16, 3-8) Rank: NR
FORT WORTH, Texas – TCU used an 8-0 run in the fifth set to put away Baylor and sweep the season series with a 21-25, 25-21, 25-18, 27-29, 15-5 victory Saturday afternoon at the TCU Recreation Center. The Bears (11-16, 3-8), won the second and fourth sets, but could not finish in the fifth set as the Horned Frogs (15-11, 3-8) gave Baylor its third consecutive Big 12 loss.
The Bears trailed just 6-4 in the fifth set before TCU backup setter Trisha Langley served the Horned Frogs to eight consecutive points and put the match out of reach at 14-4.
The home team hit .282 for the match with Stephanie Holland’s 19 kills leading the way for TCU. In the losing effort, Baylor’s Zoe Adom and Laura Jones each had career highs in kills with 26 and 19 respectively. Morgan Reed’s career-high 53 assists paced a .190 hitting effort for Baylor.
- Zoe Adom passed her previous career high of 20 with 26 in Saturday’s loss. She hit .219 with 12 errors on 64 attempts.
- Laura Jones passed her previous career high of 16 kills with 19 Saturday. Jones hit .208 with eight errors on 53 attempts. Jones also passed the 400-career kills mark needing just nine to accomplish the feat.
- Morgan Reed had a career-high 53 assists and added a career-high with seven kills.
- Baylor’s 66 kills were the second highest total of the season behind the team’s 67 vs. Cal Poly, Aug. 31; both matches resulted in five-set losses for Baylor.
- The Bears’ 68 digs were the second-highest total of the season for the team behind their 73 in a four-set win over Kansas State, Oct. 23.
- Kayci Evans’ 14 digs put her past the 550-career digs mark; she needed just seven entering into Saturday’s match.
- Adrien Richburg passed the 200-career kills mark in the match; she needed just two coming into the match and had nine kills and a team-high five blocks in the match.
- Baylor’s 3-8 start in Big 12 competition matches last year’s mark through 11 league games; the 2012 team finished 7-9.
STAT OF THE GAME I
-0.95 – The Bears hit –.095 in the fifth set with just three kills, and five attacking errors on 21 attempts.
STAT OF THE GAME II
42 – There were 42 combined ties and lead changes in the match.
STAT OF THE GAME III
5 – TCU scored the first point of every set in the five-set match.
Baylor plays host to Texas Tech Wednesday at 7 p.m., and the game will broadcast on Fox Sports Southwest. The Bears defeated the Red Raiders in four sets, Oct. 26 in Lubbock.