Feb. 2, 2013
The 2012 Baylor volleyball team officially ended its season with an awards banquet, held at the Stone Room at the Ferrell Center on Sat., Feb. 2.
Four awards, voted on by the team, were handed out to individual student-athletes. The Academic Award, given to the player who excels in the classroom and shows quality work ethic, was given to Nicole Bardaji for her 4.0 GPA. The Most Improved Award was given to Hope Ogden, who led the squad in digs (353) and digs/set (3.03). The MVP Award, awarded to the player that was committed to the team and impacted it both on and off the court, was given to Kate Harris. Averaging 10.83 assists/set, the senior was also second on the team with 2.75 digs/set and the only player to start each match of the season. The final award was the "Core" Leadership Award, given to Kate Harris, Torri Campbell and Zoe Adom. Members of this group had three major purposes: provide leadership, effective communication and team unity throughout the season.
Additional awards handed out included the individual statistics awards, given to the leaders in each category. They include: passing rating - Hope Ogden; Asstists - Kate Harris; Kills - Alyssa Dibbern; hitting percentage - Adri Nora; service aces - Thea Munch-Soegaard; blocks - Adri Nora; digs - Hope Ogden; points - Torri Campbell.
One of the final awards of the night was a new one, the Molly The Braveheart Award. This award is named after Molly Martinsen, one of Baylor volleyball's biggest supporters, who lost her battle with brain cancer in May of 2012. The inaugural award, handed out by her parents Dan and Jennifer, went to Kate Harris for her bravery on and off the court.
2012 Volleyball Season Highlights
- Finished season with 20-12 record, 7-9 in Big 12 to finish sixth
- The 20-win season was the sixth in program history, third in the Big 12 era and second under head coach Jim Barnes
- Recorded fifth consecutive winning season for first time in program history
- Set all-time attendance average record with 947 fans per match, totaling 11,360
- Set a new program record with three Bears being named to the All-Big 12 team, as Zoe Adom earned first-team honors, while seniors Torri Campbell and Alyssa Dibbern claimed second-team recognition
- Had four players earn Academic All-Big 12 honors, the fifth time at least four have been named under Barnes
- Barnes earned his 300th career victory on Aug. 25 with a 3-1 win over Nevada
- Won three pre-conference tournament titles, taking the Baylor Classic, Big Daddy's Invitational and Kathy Trosclair Memorial titles. Additionally, the Bears finished second at the Hawaiian Airlines Invitational in a field that included Hawaii, California and San Francisco.
- Had season-high nine-match win streak from Sept. 2-15 and the 13-1 start was the best since 2009
- Recorded highest-ranked victory of season over No. 20 Kansas on Nov. 3 at the Ferrell Center
- Baylor's 105 digs against TCU on Oct. 17 was the most by any Big 12 team this season. The mark tied for the third-highest in BU history (since rally scoring's inception 2001).
- Took a set from Texas in Austin for the first time since 2006
- Appeared on television four times, including an ESPNU appearance at home against Texas
- Were regionally ranked for the second-straight season