Sept. 1, 2011
GAME CENTER: Matches 4-5-6
Date: Sept. 2-3, 2011
Location: Waco, Texas
Arena: Ferrell Center (Capacity: 6,000)
Internet Audio: vs. McNeese State | vs. UTPA | vs. Northern Colorado
Internet Video: n/a
Talent: Lincoln Rose (pxp - Match 4) | Derek Smith (pxp - Match 5/6)
Live Stats: vs. McNeese State | vs. UTPA | vs. Northern Colorado
McNeese State (0-3) - Sept. 2, 2:30 p.m. CT
All-Time Series: Baylor leads 2-0 (H: 2-0, A: 0-0, N: 0-0)
Last meeting: Baylor won 3-0, Sept. 3, 2005
McNeese State will be looking for its first win of the season, most recently suffering a five-set loss at UL-Monroe. The Cowgirls were selected to finish eighth in the Southland Conference coaches’ poll. FR OH Maegan Carlton leads the offense with 3.27 kills per set, while SR OH Katie Kennedy paces the defense at 3.55 digs per set.
UT-Pan American (1-3) - Sept. 3, 12:30 p.m. CT
All-Time Series: Baylor leads 6-0 (H: 3-0, A: 1-0, N: 2-0)
Last meeting: Baylor won 3-0, Sept. 8, 2004
UTPA enters the weekend with a 1-3 mark with a lone sweep over Louisiana Tech. The Broncs were picked to finish fourth in the Great West Conference. JR OH Ijanae Holman leads the offense through the first four matches, averaging 2.43 kills per set, while JR L Juri Franzen is averaging 5.07 digs per set for the defense.
Northern Colorado (2-2) - Sept. 3, 7:30 p.m. CT
All-Time Series: no previous meetings
Last meeting: n/a
UNC has compiled a 2-2 record this season with wins over UNLV in a sweep and Air Force in five sets. The Bears were picked to win the Big Sky Conference for the first time in school history after tying for the regular season title in 2010 with a 24-7, 14-2 mark. JR OH Kelley Arnold leads the offense averaging 4.00 kills per set.
- Baylor compiled a 2-1 record in its opening weekend at the Purdue Mortar Board Premier. The Bears collected sweeps of VCU and College of Charleston with a loss to No. 13 Purdue.
- Senior libero Allison King is well within striking distance of the all-time BU record for career digs. Currently, King has 1,502 and is chasing Cory Sivertson’s (1991-94) record of 1,575.
- In the opening weekend, King recorded 45 digs in just nine sets, ranking second in the Big 12 at 5.00 digs per set. The senior had 19 digs in two of the three matches.
- Junior Torri Campbell and senior Briana Tolbert each had outstanding performances at the Purdue Mortar Board Premier, earning all-tournament team honors.
- Through the first three matches, Tolbert stepped up to help lead the team on offense and defense. The senior has a team-high .462 hitting percentage and 1.00 blocks per set.
- Against College of Charleston, Tolbert turned in the Big 12’s second-best hitting percentage of the year at .714 (16-1-21). Meeting the statistical minimums, it ranks fifth all-time at BU.
- Despite losing seven letterwinners to graduation, Baylor reloaded with five incoming freshman, a junior college transfer and a former Baylor women’s basketball player, Melissa Jones.
- After establishing a spot in the AVCA rankings much of the 2009 season, the Bears earned votes in just three weeks of the 2010 rankings without cracking the top 25.