Sept. 9, 2010
Baylor Game Notes
GAME CENTER: Matches 9-10-11
Date: Sept. 10-11, 2010
Location: Orlando, Fla.
Arena: The Venue at UCF
Internet Audio: www.BaylorBears.com
Talent: Todd Zeidler (pxp)
Internet Video: available vs. UCF
Live Stats: www.BaylorBears.com
THIS WEEK'S TOP FIVE
- Entering its third and final early season tournament of the season, Baylor is coming off its first five-set win of the year over TCU at home on Tuesday. The Bears came back from down 0-2 for the first time since Nov. 22, 2008 in a home match against Missouri. Baylor is now 1-2 in five-set matches this season.
- Baylor is leading the Big 12 in three team categories and four individual categories. Caitlyn Trice leads the Big 12 in both digs (207) and digs per set (6.27), while teammate Elizabeth Graham leads the league in both blocks (47) and blocks per set (1.42). As a team Baylor leads the Big 12 in total blocks (80), digs (649) and digs per set (19.67).
- Despite a 4-4 record in 2010 against non-conference opponents, seventh-year head coach Jim Barnes has compiled an astonishing non-conference record of 63-17 (.788) during his tenure. Included in that mark is an 11-0 non-conference record BU put together to start the 2009 season, ending the year 13-1 overall in that department.
- Libero Caitlyn Trice has been a force in the back row for Baylor, tying the four-set match record for digs twice this season. The senior is playing libero for the first time in her career and has recorded double-digit digs in all eight matches, over 20 digs in six and over 30 digs in four. She had 32 in five sets against UNI and TCU, and 31 in four sets against SMU and Dayton.
- With three losses at the Diet Coke Classic in Minnesota, Baylor's record dropped to 3-4 on the season, marking the first time the program has been under .500 since Oct. 13, 2007.
THIS WEEK'S OPPONENTS
- The Dolphins entered the season with eight returning players, including three returning starters from a 2009 squad that finished with JU's D-I era-best 19-9 record. Senior outside hitter Aidan Yaeger leads the offense withe 56 kills in seven matches, while freshman setter Kendall Courtney averages 9.08 assists. On defense, junior libero Ashley August has averaged a team-best 3.15 digs per set, while Yaeger and Alyssa Robertson have each racked up 28 blocks on the season. JU has compiled a 2-5 record thus far with wins over Lehigh and Tennessee Tech.
- Despite not having a single senior on the roster, head coach Todd Dagenais' squad is off to an impressive 6-0 start in 2010 with wins over UNC-Wilmington and UNC-Greensboro to their credit. A three-headed attack with Kristin Fisher (76 kills), Evija Vilde (63k) and Angelica Crump (47k) is quarterbacked by setter Rachel Vukson (9.67 aps). Libero Meredith Murphy averages 4.21 digs per set for the defense. UCF has out-played their opponents this season, tallying 75 more kills, a 0.99 higher hitting percentage, nearly three more assists and two more digs per set.
- FAU has put together a strong start to its 2010 campaign, beginning the season with six wins in its first eight matches. The Owls, led by 15th-year head coach Jody Brown, went 3-1 in the Stetson Invitational with its only losses on the season to Wyoming and Miami. Anne Vaughn paces the offense with 85 kills on the season, while Christina Wallinger has totaled 80. Libero Cyntia Nightengale averages 3.69 digs per set and middle blocker Krystina Dzmuranova averages 1.00 blocks per set.