|Baylor (14-13, 7-9) at Kansas (16-11, 7-9)
Nov. 17, 2010 | Lawrence, Kan. | Horejsi Family Athletics Center (1,300)
| Gametracker | Game Notes
Baylor Game Notes | Kansas Game Notes
Game Center: Match 28
Date: Nov. 17, 2010
Location: Lawrence, Kan.
Arena: Horejsi Family Athletics Center (1,300)
TV: Metro Sports (Lawrence/Kansas City areas only)
Talent: Brenda VanLengen (play-by-play)
Live Audio: www.BaylorBears.com
Talent: Todd Zeidler (play-by-play)
Live Stats: www.BaylorBears.com
THIS WEEK'S OPPONENT
KANSAS (16-11, 7-9 Big 12)
Baylor leads 19-13
Waco: Baylor leads 12-3
Lawrence: Kansas leads 9-6
Neutral: Series tied, 1-1
Last Meeting: Kansas won, 3-1 [Oct. 13, 2010]
Streak: Kansas, W2
Last 10: Baylor leads 6-4
Kansas enters the week having won three of its last four matches, including a five-setter on the road at Texas A&M and sweeps over Texas Tech and Colorado. The Jayhawks have won two consecutive meetings over Baylor with a 3-1 win over the Bears in Waco earlier this season.
KU has five regulars that average at least 1.6 kills per set, led by Karina Garlington's 3.54 and Allison Mayfield's 2.89. The Jayhawks have split time between two setters this season, but Nicole Tate has taken over the duties full-time in conference play. Tate is averaging 9.88 assists per set for the season.
Defensively, KU's back row is led by Brianne Riley and Melissa Manda. Riley is averaging 3.88 digs per set, while Manda is at 2.67. Caroline Jarmoc and Tayler Tolefee lead the KU block, each averaging over .80 blocks per set.
THE TOP FIVE
- Baylor continues its mini road stretch with the latter half of back-to-back matches in the Sunflower State. The Bears finished off the season sweep of Kansas State with a 3-1 victory in Manhattan, Kan., on Wednesday. The Bears are tied with Kansas at 7-9, and will be looking for sole possession of sixth place in the Big 12 standings.
- Middle blockers Elizabeth Graham and Torri Campbell have helped carry Baylor both offensively and defensively in Big 12 play. In league matches, Graham leads the team in kills (186), hitting percentage (.331) and blocks (76). Meanwhile, Campbell is second in all three categories racking up 156 kills, hitting .276 and recording 52 blocks in BU's 16 conference matches.
- Baylor's back-row defense is ranked second in the NCAA in digs per set, averaging 18.80. BU also leads the Big 12 by a huge margin, posting two digs per set more than any Big 12 team. The Bears need just 55 digs to top 2,000 for the first time in the rally-scoring era and only the sixth time ever. The team single-season record is 2,673, set in 1993.
- Senior Caitlyn Trice and junior Allison King have led Baylor to its top ranking in digs per set. Trice leads the conference with 5.23 dps, while King is tied for sixth in the league at 4.17. They are the only set of teammates in the top 10 in that category in the Big 12. Meanwhile, Trice's average is on pace to shatter King's single-season digs-per-set record of 4.46 set in 2009.
- The Bears have lost three of the last four matches to Kansas, including each of the last two on the road. Baylor dropped a 3-1 decision to the Jayhawks in Lawrence last season.